Friday, June 1, 2007

Doctor Doctor

I went back to the endocrinologist this week to ask the questions I wasn't prepared to ask last time because back then I knew absolutely nothing about thyroid nodules. He answered all my questions and gave me the comfort level I wanted to have prior to surgery. He jokingly said he didn't want to see me again until I had an incision on my throat and I told him that was a deal. He did tell me the in-depth pathology report would be the determining factor of whether I need radiation treatment. This means that I won't really know if I need further treatment until the Friday after my surgery. I mentioned the handful of horror stories I had read about people just not feeling right (being depressed, putting on weight, etc.) after having their thyroid removed and he assured me everything would be fine. He said he does not rely on ranges and each case must be treated based on that individuals needs and what feels and is normal for him or her. This is what I wanted to hear and what I've read that a good doctor would say. He did mention that if I need radiation treatment I would not like him during that time period and would need to miss about 4 weeks of work. The odds are in my favor - I'm hoping for the best and preparing myself for the worse just in case.

1 comment:

Glenda said...

If you're like me, you had never even heard of an endocronologist until you had to go see one! I'm glad he put you at ease--or at least as at ease as you can be before surgery. I know my endocronologist was great and I was very impressed with her. She had an ultra-sound machine in her office and did it herself since the ones that were done elsewhere were "inconclusive". She said she could clearly see a huge nodule on my parathyroid and a nodule on my thyroid on the "inconclusive" results.
So does all of your thyroid need to come out or that won't be determined until they get in there? I remember reading/hearing that if you're going to have cancer, the very best place to get it is on the thyroid because it can't spread anywhere else from there.
I didn't have to deal with losing any thyroid function but for what it's worth, I have a friend that had her's radioactively destroyed inside of her body some time ago. She takes thyroid pills and doesn't have any problems. She said she felt so much better after it was destroyed and she started taking the pills, that she has to take forever. She is very active and fit, and slender, and ambitious, and energetic.

I'm sure you'll keep your blog (and therefore me) posted about the outcome because I want to know how it turns out. I'm betting it'll be just fine. And I'm also hoping the best for you!!