Saturday, June 9, 2007

There's No Place Like Home ... There's No Place Like Home

I got to come home Friday afternoon, the day after the surgery. The surgery went very well - the surgeon only took out half of my thyroid and pathology believes it is benign. I will find out the final pathology report results a week from today when I go to my follow up appointment with my surgeon. I had a drainage tube in until just before I left the hospital when the surgeon removed it. The surgery went better and was easier than I expected. I told the surgeon that I felt like I had aches and pains like I'd run a marathon and he said that one of the medicines they give you to put you out causes your muscles to contract severely for several minutes. My neck really doesn't hurt too much and the entire time I was at the hospital and even after I've taken no pain medication. I really can't move my head or neck too much because of the stitches and the tape over the incision. I'm not supposed to bend down at all and can't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk. I'm glad I had the surgery and even more glad that it's over. Thanks for all the well wishes and thoughts.

2 comments:

Glenda said...

I'm so glad that it went well! As with mine, the anticipation of it was much worse than the actual surgery. Although afterwards I did feel like I'd been run over by a large truck! I'm glad that you didn't have any "extras" from your surgery like I did with the high blood pressure, vomiting, etc.

So will you have to take thryoid medication or do you know that yet? I'm hoping that pathology is right and it is definitely benign.
That will sure be a load off your mind I'm sure.

I'm envious you got your drainage tube out so soon... Since you're not supposed to bend down and can't life anything heavier than a gallon of milk, take advantange of it and let your family wait on you and pamper you for a while. You deserve it!

My continued best wishes are with you.

njm said...

Yeah!!!!! You are home! Glad to hear that you didn't land on any witches upon your arrival. Talk with you soon!